[kwlug-disc] Lucid is disappointing .. was Android everywhere ...

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 16 19:01:29 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:49:22AM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) <
>
> I also have a laptop with Intel's chipset.
>
> I am using Kubuntu and therefore don't see these issues with Plymouth
> or Pulse.

Kubuntu doesn't use Plymouth? Weird. Maybe my advice below does not
apply.

> Yes, I noticed the hiding of the information on boot and it is annoying.
> I tried what I used to do with the older grub (remove quiet and splash),
> but can't get it to behave like the old days for some reason.

The obvious fixes don't work any more. Isn't that hilarious? In
Ubuntu there is an option called "noplymouth" that doesn't do anything
either. LOL!

To get the old behaviour, I did the following in /etc/default/grub (I
think... I am working from memory):

- comment out GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
- Change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset init=/sbin/init"

or

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset init=/sbin/init -v"

This may leave you in a command-line login window. On my Ubuntu
systems it kills Plymouth and produces output similar to the old ways
of doing things.

If you like huge windows with tiny text you can omit the "nomodeset"
part.

Oh yeah. You'll have to reboot twice, because the first time you'll
forget to run "update-grub" so that changes will actually take effect.
LOL!

- Paul (who wishes he was learning about OpenAtrium right now)

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org