[kwlug-disc] Lucid is disappointing .. was Android everywhere ...

Johnny Ferguson hyperflexed at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 17:48:28 EDT 2010

On 09/15/2010 06:00 PM, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 08:48:46AM -0400, Ralph Janke wrote:
>> On 09/14/2010 04:10 PM, Paul Nijjar wrote:
>>>
>>> Until the disappointing Lucid release, I think the conventional wisdom
>>> was "Start with Ubuntu".
>>>

>> Why is lucid disappointing?
>
> I'll try to keep it brief:
>
> 0. Lucid is the least lucid distro I have used in years. It wants to
> be silent and pretty on bootup, which means that when bootup fails for
> some reason it is hideous to try and figure out what went wrong.
>
> 1. I get video problems again and again, because support for very
> common Intel chipsets is basically broken. I install Lucid and end up
> with a blank screen. This is because KMS support in the X.org video
> drivers is broken. But Ubuntu released Plymouth anyways, which depends
> pretty heavily on KMS.
>
> 2. I have mixed feelings about GRUB 2, but I definitely do not like
> the decision to hide the GRUB menu unless you happen to press the
> shift key at the magical right time. (I also despise having to run
> "update-grub" after editing config files -- wasn't that why we
> switched away from LILO?)
>
> 3. Plymouth is not ready for prime time, and again you need to know
> the secret magic keystroke to make it display anything useful. I don't
> know of any Plymouth theme that actually displays useful information
> by default.

4. Sound sucks miserably. Apps steal sound from eachother, and sometimes
it just dies altogether. Could be a pulseaudio issue, but I don't
remember pidgin notification beeps killing flash sound in 9.10.

Been meaning to root out PulseAudio and sink it into JACK (probably the
only software mixer worth its salt), but I haven't had the time.