[kwlug-disc] Lucid is disappointing .. was Android everywhere ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Sep 16 13:52:46 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:55, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists
> account) <aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:
> > On Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:49:22 am Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> >> The only audio problem I see is when Flash gets pegged, and prevent
> >> other applications (e.g. Amarok) from using sound. When this happens
> >> I see npviewer.bin taking 100% of one core, and kill it. This being a
> >> 64-bit install, only Flash's process get killed, not the entire Firefox
> >> browser.
> >
> > Maybe that's the issue. I have seen Flash hang quite a bit and yes, it
> pegs
> > the CPU. 64-bit install here as well, although I use Chrome.  Killing
> > npviewer.bin is a daily occurance. :-)
>
> I've not had a problem with flash. I'm using chromium 6.0.472.59 from
> the chromium-beta ppa, also 64-bit.

I too use chromium from a ppa. It is 7.x though.

The Flash problems are common between Firefox and Chromium, and
not a surprise here, because npviewer.bin runs in its own process.

I do use flashblock[1] though, so I probably only load a fraction of
> flash that I come across on a daily basis. I have no issues with flash
> hogging sound since stuff accessing alsa or oss directly still gets
> routed through pulse.
>
> 1.
> https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gofhjkjmkpinhpoiabjplobcaignabnl

I use NoScript, which blocks flash by default, but I white list a few sites.

A new 64-bit Flash was released today, for Linux too.
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/09/16/0340226/Adobe-Releases-New-64-bit-Flash-Plugin-For-Linux

But I don't want to introduce new variables in my setup. If it does not run
in its own process, it will crash the whole browser. Not feeling adventurous
enough to try it.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.