[kwlug-disc] New geek in the area

Darryl O'Neill ldoneill at golden.net
Thu Sep 9 10:33:47 EDT 2010

Execulink that runs on Bell's equipment is offering 10megabits on a
single line in selected areas.  I suspect that bell lines have been
updated and will continue to.

This is my setup.
I have my regular phone with bell but that is it just a phone.  Remember
if you have your regular phone with anyone else you have to pay $10 for
dry loop so include that in your cost.  I have no long distance plan
with Bell so I don't get charged the "Network fee" of 4.95.   I have the
phone and Call display.  For that package bell was cheapest.  If you
want more features you might find a deal somewhere but remember to add
back the $10 dry loop if you go with DSL.

I have long distance and internet with execulink.  I signed up for a
year and I get
Unlimited download (as far as I can tell) + 2 hours of long distance
24/7 in Northamerica for $39.95.
It is 4.9 cents per minute after that. They have international rates but
I don't call international and I rarely go over my 2 hours of free time
a month.

Execulink does not charge a "Network fee" for long distance almost all
carriers that I saw when I looked this up last did.  They would offer
you a plan for one fee but you had to pay the Network fee and they did
not mention it.

Also Execulink offers a Toll-Free number for the price of long distance
- no other fee.  And the long distance is included in your 2 free
hours.  It is handy on business trips as I can call home from the hotel
for only the price of a local call.  Also handy for the kids to call
home from any payphone in town.  (first 2 hours free then 4.9 cents
after that.  Cheaper than the 50 cents for a payphone or the hassle of
finding 50 cents).
I do get one or two calls a month on the toll free that are wrong
numbers but it is like one or two minutes.