[kwlug-disc] New geek in the area

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Sep 8 22:35:34 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Fernando Duran <liberosec at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> >I looked into Yak a couple of months ago, and they were very promising,
> but
> >wanted to take over my long distance too, which I am with a company that
> >gives good rates for USA/Canada as well as specific overseas countries.
> >So that was the deal breaker for me.
>
> I use Skype and their Unlimited World plan; for US $10/month I have
> unlimited
> minutes to Canada, USA (landlines and mobiles) and many countries in the
> world
> (mostly landlines). I can't find anything cheaper than that if you make
> international calls with certain frequency (the best part is when the
> person on
> the other side says "OK, hung up, this must be costing you a fortune!" and
> you're like "meh, never mind...")

For a many years I used Prepaid Calling Cards mainly to call family in Egypt
and the USA. This way it is rationed somewhat.

Still do that some extent, when I have them handy.

Then found a long distance company (first Pulse Communication and then Blue
Tone, both are the same company https://btone.ca) that would charge $0.10
per minute to Egypt and maybe $0.03 per minute to the USA. They became my
long distance company so that when I call, I am not charged Bell's
ridiculous rates (was over a $1.00 per minute now maybe $0.80).

You also get a calling card that you can use from any public phone when you
are on the road for a cent or two more per minute. Very convenient and
better than any other option for that (cell phone long distance!)

If you call people in certain countries where there are inter-carrier
agreements (e.g. most places in Europe, India, ...etc.), you can get very
cheap rates from many many providers. Unfortunately, Egypt is not one of
them, so always a challenge finding a rate comparable to the $0.05 a minute
or less, or flat monthly fee.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.