[kwlug-disc] New geek in the area

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Sep 8 13:34:03 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 12:35:52AM -0700, J W wrote:
> Hi all, my name is Jeff Welling.
> I'm moving to the Kitchener Waterloo area, and since I'm a linux geek I
> thought I should touch base with the local LUG.  I write free software in my
> free time, mostly in Ruby though I'd like to get back to working with C and
> am trying to help with one in Python.  One of my projects is designed to
> help track of and control your bandwidth, another project I'm working on is
> called Ticgit which I've become the maintainer of, and I'm trying to help
> out with OpenHatch.org though I'm having to learn Python at the same time in
> order to do that.
>
> Any other local developers?

Welcome!  You sound like a busy guy. :-)

I'm one of the C and C++ guys in the group.

> Any suggestions on local watering holes?

KWLUG often meets at Zeke's after the meetings, for various refreshments.

> Tips about ISPs?
> Which do you use, whats your opinion of them, who do you think I should
> avoid and why?

I'm not too religious about ISPs... many of them are affected by the
big players, even if they don't want to be.

I use sentex.ca and have no complaints.

- Chris