[kwlug-disc] New geek in the area

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 13:14:42 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 3:35 AM, J W <jeff.w.bulk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any other local developers?

One or two, yes. :)  Although I don't seem to have as much time to
work on stuff in my spare time as I'd like.

> Local geeking hot spots?

Kwartzlab!  Several of us KWLUG people are members.  You can come out
on Tuesday nights, hang out, work on projects or chat with people.

Dev House Waterloo is great too.  The last Monday of the month, local
startup Postrank opens up its office for people to show off cool
things they've discovered.  It's Ruby-heavy, so you should definitely
check it out. http://devwaterloo.pbworks.com/

Also, check out the WatCamp calendar.  http://watcamp.com/calendar/
Lots of events pop up there all the time.

Oh, and come to Software Freedom Day at Kwartzlab on the 18th!

> Tips about ISPs?
> Which do you use, whats your opinion of them, who do you think I should
> avoid and why?

I use Primus, because I got grandfathered in through acquisitions.
*shrug*, it's okay.  Don't know if I'd recommend it, but it (mostly)
works for me.  They waffle a bit on whether or not they do traffic
shaping.  It's not obvious if they do.