[kwlug-disc] New geek in the area

J W jeff.w.bulk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 03:35:52 EDT 2010

Hi all, my name is Jeff Welling.
I'm moving to the Kitchener Waterloo area, and since I'm a linux geek I
thought I should touch base with the local LUG.  I write free software in my
free time, mostly in Ruby though I'd like to get back to working with C and
am trying to help with one in Python.  One of my projects is designed to
help track of and control your bandwidth, another project I'm working on is
called Ticgit which I've become the maintainer of, and I'm trying to help
out with OpenHatch.org though I'm having to learn Python at the same time in
order to do that.

Any other local developers?
Any suggestions on local watering holes?
Local geeking hot spots?
Tips about ISPs?
Which do you use, whats your opinion of them, who do you think I should
avoid and why?

I'm coming from Vancouver and I've been on Shaw cable who are the best
around.  The alternative is Telus DSL.
Telus complains if you go over on your usage and forwards DMCA complaints,
Shaw never complained on any of the occasions when I went over my bandwidth
allotment even when it was a significant overage (200-400%), and has yet to
forward a DMCA complaint.

Any other things I neglected to ask?

I'll be busy moving in this weekend but hopefully I'll see some of you at
some meetings :)
*waves* Nice to meet everyone.

Looking forward to geeking with you,
Jeff.