[kwlug-disc] open source on Mac without Xcode

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Sep 7 20:35:40 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 03:50:13PM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:

> Well, here's a message from Cedric that got discarded. Oops.

Thanks Paul! :-)  Seems the list is behaving strangely these days.

> ----- Forwarded message from kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org -----
>

> The attached message has been automatically discarded.
> Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] open source on Mac without Xcode
> From: Cedric Puddy <cedric at ccjclearline.com>
> Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 09:56:15 -0400
> To: KWLUG discussion <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org>

[...]

> Quite possibly the Darwin folks have a leg up on people in this
> particular topic, because Xcode wouldn't be all that convenient for
> them to use.  May well be that that the answer is already out there,
> if only one finds the right search terms :)

This was a good pointer... it led to an investigative path, where I found
that there is something called Fink, besides Macports, which reportedly
does not require Xcode.  I'll have to give this a try when I have some
free time.

Thanks,
- Chris