[kwlug-disc] open source on Mac without Xcode

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Sep 7 15:50:13 EDT 2010

Well, here's a message from Cedric that got discarded. Oops.

- Paul

----- Forwarded message from kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org -----

Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] open source on Mac without Xcode
From: Cedric Puddy <cedric at ccjclearline.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 09:56:15 -0400
To: KWLUG discussion <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org>

My understanding/assumption is that it's bootstrapping and development library thing -- not only is there the compiler so that you can build stuff in the first place, but also all the -devel library equivalents for the various resources that are already present in the system.

Now, I'm sure you could build all the libraries you need in parallel, and a free standing copy of GCC besides, and from there share that with the world and use it yourself for all future builds, and that would allow you to be a happy camper hence forth.  Whether there are enough other people with the requisite skills that want to pitch in and share the load, or it's worth the work would be another question.

Quite possibly the Darwin folks have a leg up on people in this particular topic, because Xcode wouldn't be all that convenient for them to use.  May well be that that the answer is already out there, if only one finds the right search terms :)

-Cedric

   Cedric Puddy, IS Director            cedric at thinkers.org
     PGP Key Available at:              http://www.thinkers.org/cedric

----- End forwarded message -----