[kwlug-disc] linux home accounting package

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Oct 29 01:08:22 EDT 2010

Raul Suarez wrote, On 10/28/2010 9:29 PM:
> --- On Thu, 10/28/10, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>> An example consideration would be 'Canadian' awareness, and
>> *brainless* compatibility with how our local institutions
>> operate. e.g. Statement fetching, auto-bill payment, and the
>> like.]
>
> I would have considered that "local institution compatibility" in
> the 90's. Why do you want your PC software to automate bill payment
> when the financial institution can do it for you.

If one is doing all this stuff from gnucash, why would I then want to
go somewhere else to set this other stuff up? When it's already in
Gnucash to do - although, perhaps, still, not in Canada?

K.I.S.S. one stop shopping.

Better would be for gnucash to correctly interface with all
institutions to set up these auto-bill payments as you say. [Not
Gnucash' fault that this isn't possible.]

> i.e. I don't pay ANY bill manually. Phone, Cable, Internet, Taxes,
> Water, electricity, Mortgage, insurance, magazine subscriptions ...
> All taken from my account automatically in due time.

You are presuming everyone is in your situation.

e.g. Steady stream of incoming at well defined points in time, perhaps
combined with steady stream of bills. And that your financial
institution is able to deal with them.

e.g. I can't say at my institution (YNCU, was Waterloo Credit Union)
pay this bill on the last day of the month. It doesn't know what that
is. It does know a day, so I can say the first, but I can't say the last.

e.g. Not all bills are due by monthly date. e.g. Different credit
cards have 21-day (say) periods, not calendar months. Can't do that at
my institution either.