[kwlug-disc] linux home accounting package

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Oct 28 17:18:38 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 10/28/2010 4:42 PM:
>
>  On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Insurance Squared Inc. <
>> gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:
>>
>>  My spouse is looking for some software to manage our home finances;
>>> budget and banking type stuff. Any recommendations?
>>>

>> Gnu Cash (GNOME interface)
>>

> Not advocating gnucash through personal experience, but gnucash has a
> windows version. Perhaps this is useful to you/spouse to run in your XP vm
> as a transition process? i.e. gnucash on windows, then move it to native
> linux?
>
>  KMyMoney2 (KDE interface), which we use at home.
>>

> Not to start any flame wars, and I know Raul is a happy gnucash user ...
> Khalid, are you able to express any pros/cons dis/advantages between the
> two? [I have yet to implement either, have thought about gnucash for a long
> time for when I get a round tuit, and could go either way. An example
> consideration would be 'Canadian' awareness, and *brainless* compatibility
> with how our local institutions operate. e.g. Statement fetching, auto-bill
> payment, and the like.]

I can't remember the specifics, since it was some years ago.

We wanted to move from Quicken to some Linux package.

Migration was not smooth on Gnucash, though it seemed to have more
features (at the time at least).

We currently run KMyMoney2 and it runs OK. Nothing compares to Quicken
though (in a report select a category and all transaction come up, click on
them and change them all to another category, ..etc. Not stuff you can do
with KMyMoney2).

You can import bank transactions into KMyMoney2 without issues. It is multi
currency aware if you need that (we needed it because of 15 years of
history).

Not sure about auto bill payment.

Best thing is to visit both sites, see the feature list, and play with both
see which one fits your specific needs.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.