[kwlug-disc] Contact software

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Wed Oct 27 21:10:37 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
> What are folks using to manage contacts? I've decided to get rid of my
> pile of business cards for something more permanent.

Years ago we wrote an LDAP-based address book and gave it the ability to create different lists using separate organizational units (ous). It integrates nicely with email clients. The web-based part is needed because email clients generally don't allow update to LDAP contacts. At least at the time it didn't work.

One thing we never solved is grouping of contacts in arbitrary ways, like a group of customers by geography. The goal was to have groups as pointers to the actual entries. We still find that many email clients still implement groups as copies of contacts. Changing the original contact doesn't update the address in the group.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware