[kwlug-disc] Firesheep: Open WiFi cookie stealing for the masses ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Oct 27 18:17:49 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 5:58 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> There need be no certificate expense, there are free certificates out
> there.

I don't think so.

Technically, yes, there are free certificates.

Practically, the popular browsers do not recognize it and issue a warning
that can be really scary to the uninitiated user.

Certificates are still one of those oligopoly-run areas where price is kept
artificially high.

Can't recall my favourite off the top of my head, but I remember reading
> articles where the biggest hurdle is just getting the various browsers to
> include that they are trusted certificate authorities / servers.

Exactly.

The issue is not technology, it is wide acceptance. A harder problem.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.