[kwlug-disc] Fast transfer protocol?

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Fri Oct 22 12:32:37 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 10:30 -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> This is a Windows question, but Linux solutions would be welcome
> (especially Linux solutions that can be run off a LiveCD).
>
> I am trying to saturate throughput on a gigabit network card.
>
> I am getting the impression that Samba is inherently slow. The
> application used to transfer files does seem to make a difference --
> depending on the (proprietary, Windows) utility I use, I am getting
> transfers that use from 12% to 25% of the gigabit link.
>
> Now I am wondering whether I should try to set up an NFS share or FTP
> server or something on the host I am testing. Has anybody run into
> this issue before? How do you solve it?
>
> - Paul

I tried this once upon a time.  I found it more difficult than I
expected. Typical hardware - especially hard drives - cannot keep up to
a gigabit link.  I used an FTP server running from a RAM disk.  Even
then, the Atom CPU in the server had a hard time sustaining more than
60MB/sec of transfer.

In the end I concluded that I was testing the limits of my CPU and disk
subsystem more than any network hardware.

It is entirely possible your Windows client can write transferred files
to disk at only 25MB/s (which is pretty good).