[kwlug-disc] GUI tips

Steve Izma sizma at golden.net
Fri Oct 15 22:48:57 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 04:16:41PM -0400, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> Subject: [kwlug-disc] GUI tips
>
> A few threads ago, someone mentioned that the mandriva gui had kde 4 but
> had all been reset to look like kde3 by default.  So what am I missing
> with kde 4?  Are there tweaks I should be making to my UI to make it
> better?  I've got the default mandriva gui, not a whole bunch different
> than the good ole' XP functionality.g.

As far as I know (so far), KDE4 does not have anything like
kprint, so there is poor consistency from app to app, and some of
them have very awkward printing controls.

I find the main menu (Alt-F1) very awkward for selecting anything
using the keyboard; I end up using Alt-F2 or, more often,
keyboard shortcuts through khotkeys most of the time. But getting
to khotkeys for setup is convoluted.

In general, it took me a long time to get used to KDE4, but it
does have a considerable number of enhancements.

--
Steve Izma
-
E-mail: sizma at golden.net or steve at press.wlu.ca