[kwlug-disc] GUI tips

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 16:35:49 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 10/14/10, Insurance Squared Inc. <gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:
> Are there tweaks I should be making to my UI to
> make it better?

It really depends on what you like.

- I prefer the new Kickoff menu as it lets you start typing and find apps faster than clicking using the mouse
- I find the folder views to be what the "desktop" should have been before. I dislike icons on the desktop, but I used to have symlinks to my favourite folders. Now I can visualize and navigate those folders. No need to minimize applications, just "show the Plasma Dashboard".

Other than that, most of the improvements are either cosmetic or in the wiring. Actually the wiring changes are the interesting one. How applications integrate, communicate and collaborate. But those changes you get whether the desktop looks nice or ugly.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx