[kwlug-disc] Good android phones [was: MS Phone]

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Oct 13 22:55:34 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

> On 10-10-13 12:42 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
>> If you are looking for a phone with a physical keyboard, then don't get
>> the Motorola Milestone (a.k.a. Droid in CDMA networks), which I own.
>> The reason is that the keyboard is almost unusable. It works fine as a
>> touch phone, and is feature rich otherwise.
>>

> Could you use a Bluetooth keyboard with this phone?

I have not tried any bluetooth devices with that phone, simply because I
have
no peripherals that are bluetooth. But I see

According to this, it seems a rooted phone can do it, and there is a request

for Google to include it (and you can vote on it by "starring" it)

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1147

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajmhUcmbinc

I see a few apps in the market about bluetooth keyboard, but have not
tried any of them.
http://www.androlib.com/r.aspx?r=bluetooth+keyboard&t=free

Apart from that, Motorola has a very nice feature on this phone. It is
called
a phone portal. What it does is that you enable WiFi on your phone, and
it acts as a server. You connect to it from a browser, and then it allows
you
direct access to several things (e.g. browsing your contacts, sending
SMS messages, ...etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq75pbhguOI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vyR7VqTLFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BjmIgxbs5Q

There is also an app in the Market called Wifi Keyboard that does what you
want via Bluetooth but over Wifi.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.