[kwlug-disc] Good android phones [was: MS Phone]

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Oct 13 18:14:24 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Lori Paniak
<ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 12:42 -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Johnny Ferguson
> > <hyperflexed at gmail.com> wrote:
> >         On 10/12/2010 10:05 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> >                 On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Insurance Squared
> >                 Inc.
> >                 <gcooke at insurancesquared.com
> >                 <mailto:gcooke at insurancesquared.com>> wrote:
> >
> >                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11514901
> >
> >                    Microsoft launches phones.  Actually looks
> >                 interesting, not that
> >                    I'll be getting one personally :).  Looks like
> >                 they've got an app
> >                    development kit, for all you programmers.
> >
> >                    Not much in the way of details in the video, but I
> >                 expect everything
> >                    will be closed source.
> >

> >                 This is not their "phone". It says Samsung on the
> >                 handset. This is version 7
> >                 of their Windows Mobile (previously known as WinCE).
> >
> >                 They had an initiative to have their own Microsoft
> >                 branded phone, called
> >                 Kin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Kin but
> >                 they discontinued it.
> >                 Maybe
> >                 because Google discontinued directly selling their
> >                 Nexus One? I don't know.
> >
> >                 As for Windows for Mobile phones, the phone I used
> >                 until over a month ago
> >                 was made by HTC, and had Windows Mobile 5. I liked the
> >                 hardware, but
> >                 hated everything about the operating system.
> >                 EVERYTHING! It was desktop
> >                 centric still, hard to navigate, many options
> >                 missing, ...etc.
> >
> >                 Everything they said in the video is available already
> >                 in Android (and I
> >                 assume
> >                 Apple too). The only exception (at least for Android)
> >                 is the "all your
> >                 friend's
> >                 activity in one place", so as to not go in and out of
> >                 apps all the time.
> >
> >                 Someone will write an app that does that I am sure.
> >
> >                 HD Video? Already have it! Easy navigation? Check!
> >                 AMOLED screen? HTC
> >                 Desire and Nexus One have it, and a bunch of others.
> >
> >                 Apple and Microsoft can keep their monopolies. I like
> >                 Android, and not just
> >                 because it is Linux underneath. It is functional,
> >                 open, extensible and has a
> >                 large app base.
> >
> >         What's a good droid phone in Canada? Essentially my definition
> >         of good is the ability to control the software that runs on my
> >         phone.
> >
> > Really depends on whether you want to go the rooted phone route, or
> > just
> > stick with the stock O.S.
> >
> > I have not tried rooting myself, since any time I read about it, there
> > is partial
> > support for this piece, or that part does not work. Mainly drivers. I
> > want the
> > full functionality (magnetic compass, accelerometers, GPS, WiFI, GSM,
> > ...etc.), not partial functionality. I installed ConnectBot and that
> [...]

That is what I did: buy the phone unlocked off of Kijiji. I bought the
Motorola
Milestone that way, despite it being a Telus device, and I am with Rogers.

My daughter bought an HTC Desire (same as Google Nexus One) also
from Kijiji, also unlocked.

My usual rant about the North American mobile phone market will have
to wait for another time.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.