[kwlug-disc] CC licensed music PROHIBITED at CBC.

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Oct 12 13:19:35 EDT 2010

The Creative Commons "Non-Commercial" license is very poorly defined as
to what constitutes commercial usage.  I participated in a Creative
Commons sponsored survey about a year ago; as I recall, people's idea of
what NC means was all over the place[1].

Obviously, selling the work for profit is prohibited by NC.

But is making the work available free/gratis on a for-profit site
commercial use?  I make money as SOBAC; does that mean that sobac.com
can never host an NC licensed file?

Or on a site for a non-profit or charity organization that engages in
fundraising?  How about appearing on a non-commercial site beside an
advertisement?  And if I use a commercial free hosting site like
http://tripod.com/ that's advertising-supported?

Remember the User Group disks, distributing free/libre software but
charging only for the cost of the media?  Does infringe on NC?

When I release something as NC I intend only that it not be sold
directly.  I'm perfectly happy if it gets displayed along with ads, or
on a commercial site.  I'd be especially happy if it gets used by the CBC.

The CBC is most definitely a non-commercial organization, and the
examples they cite[2] as infringing on NC licenses are those edge cases,
"streaming with pre-roll ads, or pay for download on iTunes." I doubt
that most of the creators intended that those uses be restricted.  The
CBC has chosen to interpret NC in the most restrictive way possible, to
the detriment of everyone. Then they're lumping that together with all
the other CC licence variants, and disallowing everything.

There was also talk of the CBC shipping their programs to other stations
that might put the material to commericial use.  But how is that the
CBC's problem?  Let those other stations worry about license compliance.

The CBC is already stripping music out of their other podcast offerings,
like Metro Morning and As It Happens. And Quirks And Quarks has a
completely different soundtrack in the podcast than it does on-air.
There's no reason they can't do the same with CC music on Spark.

More pressure needs to be put on CBC management to change this policy.
It's not just Geist-fear-mongering, this is just the most recent example
of suppression of free/libre, user-generated content.[3]

--Bob.

[1] http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/17127

[2]
http://www.cbc.ca/spark/2010/10/spark-122-october-3-6-2010/#comment-26758