[kwlug-disc] CC licensed music PROHIBITED at CBC.

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Tue Oct 12 11:31:43 EDT 2010

On 10-10-12 11:02 AM, Darcy Casselman wrote:
> This whole thing smacks of irrational management panic.  Someone up
> the org chart doesn't understand Creative Commons and freaked out.
> They probably don't even have a good reason, and their leaving it to
> their underlings to flail about trying to explain it.  Fascinating to
> see this played out publicly like this.

They understand creative commons all too well.  Some of the licenses
used don't allow commercial / for-profit use of the music, and would
need individual licensing from the copyright owners for those 'podcasts'
that are sold in some on-line retail channels, (like I-tunes).  Makes
perfect sense when you take away the Geist conspiracy theory fear
mongering.  (though in this defense, this was very poorly
communicated.)  Unfortunately, the story took on a life of it's own on
the Intertubes before a proper explanation was given.