[kwlug-disc] Open Source

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Wed Oct 6 14:12:55 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
> Initially I was going to complain that $1,200 is too much for stuff
> that we
> regularly have for much less, and even for free.
>
> E.g. OLF, FSOSS @ Seneca, and even Geek Toronto on 23th Oct.
>
> e.g. http://fsoss.senecac.on.ca/2009/node/126
>
> But this is a full day workshop, not a one hour talk.
>
> In a way, it is good to have businesses willing to pay for this stuff.

What bothers me is that this is likely some late-comer to the open source space asking $1,200 per person to make money and give bland information on open source. Except now that I've checked it appears this is likely a technically incompetent duo of companies producing this event.

Lexpert (lexpert.ca) is in the "Business of Law" and Thompson Rueters (thompson.com) is in publishing and doesn't have anything Linux related on their site.

So what will one get out of this conference? I'm betting a lawyer talking about open source licenses and citing case after case of where companies got into trouble with open source. The conspiracy theorist in me smells something fishy.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware