[kwlug-disc] What's the simple next level beyond OpenOffice Base?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Fri Nov 26 21:44:24 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 03:40:02PM -0500, unsolicited wrote:
> What's the next step, app wise, with similar universality? Base is
> insufficient, yet I have no interest in a fully programmed
> environment where the users cannot just pop into a spreadsheet like
> interface and get on with their day for the moment.

Glom may be worth looking at. GTK+ based, but with a windows installer.

http://www.glom.org/

It has a list view (spreadsheet-like) and a details view.

It uses postgres as a backend, so you could set up a centralized
postgres server, giving each user their own db & username.  Not as
convenient as just having an sqlite file to back up, unfortunately.

Since you're without a centralized server, this may not be a feasible
option.

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca