[kwlug-disc] Your country needs you (or "Our MP is on the C-32 committee")

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Mon Nov 22 07:46:08 EST 2010

I don't think any "simple" message is going to include "DRM", "TPM",
"access control" or even "licensed content".  These are already too
abstract and ill-defined for the typical person and would require legal
consultation.

The strongest messages to counter the "stop piracy" theme are those
pertaining to the effect of the law on a typical user's everyday
activities: Can I copy a CD onto my laptop/smartphone?  Can the kids
watch a movie on their netbook?  Can I add the software I want to my
smartphone? Do I need to buy separate copies of a movie for my
laptop/iPod/smartphone/DVD player? Can I make a backup of my DVD
collection?  Can I sell my DVD collection? What are the intrusions on
common end-user activities presented by this bill?  What do I have
permission to do today that will be illegal tomorrow?  People don't like
laws that make their currently acceptable behaviour illegal.