[kwlug-disc] Your country needs you (or "Our MP is on the C-32 committee") and the Long Census

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 13:31:48 EST 2010

On 10-11-21 01:13 PM, L.D. Paniak wrote:
> The mantra of "not making criminals out of law abiding citizens" is a
> long standing one in conservative lore.  It was certainly front and
> center in arguments against a gun registry 10+ years ago and even
> further back against medicare.

Suggested reading:

The long computer registry and IT control
http://BillC32.ca/5209

   I first used the analogy between computer control and gun control in
2005 with then Heritage critic Bev Oda http://BillC32.ca/728

   I asked her what she would think of a gun control law that locked up
all guns, and hunters required permission from an animal rights activist
in order to fire a gun.

   While this is IMHO a valid analogy to DRM, Bev Oda didn't buy it. The
reason was because she didn't understand what locks on *content* had to
do with locks on *devices*.  In other words, I needed to to a mini
TPM-101 course before I could use any analogy to explain the real-world
impacts of digital locks.

   And thus I came up with http://flora.ca/own

 > The question for a conservative politician is what public interest is
> served by the government intruding on the privacy of my home for the
> purposes of checking on how I am watching a DVD that I legally purchased
> (the right to view)?

   Answer from average MP or lawyer:  digital locks on DVDs stop you
from making illegal copies of the DVD, they don't impact your privacy or
your hardware/software choices.

   This is factually incorrect (both that it stops copying, as well as
its impact on interoperability, privacy and hardware property rights),
and relies on a science-fiction view of TPMs.  It is what many (most?)
non-technical people in this debate believe.

Note: I mention this not to discourage anyone, but to try to jump you
all past the mistakes I made in the past.   As a technical community you
need to make use of your technical knowledge, recognising that many
(most) in the debate are in dire need of your expertise.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://fix.billc32.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"