[kwlug-disc] SMS Gateway..

Fernando Duran liberosec at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 19 15:25:15 EST 2010

Hi,

With some carriers you can do the email-to-SMS but not with all of them (for
some it may be a opt-in or paid feature). Different carriers have different SMS
protocols so the easiest way to reach a lot of people on different phone
companies (think also internationally) is through an SMS gateway, which offers
just one API to send SMS messages to any carrier.

Of course for one person or for people all having email to SMS feature you
wouldn't need the gateway.
Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com