[kwlug-disc] Cash becoming illegal?

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Fri Nov 5 14:30:14 EDT 2010

On 10-11-05 02:02 PM, John Van Ostrand wrote:
> This is the problem I have with credit cards is that they appear to offer *free* value. They make purchasing convenient but neglect to tell us that the vendor is charged a percentage. In fact this fee is undoubtedly passed along to us in some form. If you were given an option to have a 2% to 4% discount on something and pay by cheque, debit or cash would you? I'm guessing most of you would say yes when it comes to medium and large purchases. Conversely if you were told you would be charged that same 2% to 4% more because you're using a credit card would you still use it?

When making a >$100 purchase from small businesses, I usually ask if I
can get a cash discount.  Some clue in and name a price...... others get
my Mastercard.  At least that way I get 1% back of that fee in my
'reward points.'  It's really long past time vendors get together and
think of a way to tell Visa and Mastercard to take their terms of
service and shove them, but they are as complicit in the raping as the
consumers who use the cards.