[kwlug-disc] Today in Usage-Based-Billing News

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Thu Nov 4 15:40:53 EDT 2010

There's a difference.  Much of the costs of hyrdro and water are in the
production and delivery.  Bandwidth the costs are much more related to
infrastructure.  If I've got an ethernet connection between two
computers, it costs the same if I use 10mbit sustained as it does if I
use 100mbit sustained.  Same cable.  It only costs noticeably more if I
exceed 100mbit and need to go to gigabit.

I know there are some scaled costs, but I really expect that most of the
costs are infrastructure. Which makes a flat fee for useage the wrong model.

Perhaps some of you are too young to remember when Bell had a lock on
long distance.  They charged obscene amounts per minute if you even
wanted to call the next town over.  It had nothing to do with 'costs'.
It had to do with consumers had no choice.  I remember when calling my
girlfriend from Ottawa to Waterloo would cost me $200 a month for a few
calls.  Now I don't pay hardly that much for my business phones. That's
what we're regressing to in this new model. where Bell can charge gobs
of money for services.  And we'll end up with the same problem we used
to have with long distance - people and businesses won't use it as
much.  That stifles creativity and productivity.

This is a very bad move, and I'd like to see it stopped.

--
Glenn Cooke
Insurance Squared Inc.

Insurance Agent Discussion Forum: