[kwlug-disc] Today in Usage-Based-Billing News

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Nov 4 15:24:58 EDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 22:35, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Some days the news is just so happy it makes me want to cry.
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/10/28/crtc-usage-based-billing-internet.html

>  that rent its network.
>
> - Bell gets to raise rates (arbitrarily?) to encourage those ISPs that
>  are grandfathered in to switch to metered billing instead.

I pay for gas by usage, I pay for hydro by usage, and I pay for water
by usage.  I don't mind paying for bandwidth I use.

However, I *do* mind paying unrealistic amounts for it ($1.12 per GB?
Really?). I'm also somewhat annoyed at having to pay for the same for
the service *and* having to also pay for the bandwidth.

I'm even more annoyed that we'll be paying for both service and
bandwidth, and still having a throttled connection that frowns upon
certain protocols and causes issues with VOIP quality after a fixed
period of time.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>