[kwlug-disc] Yesterday in C-32 news

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Nov 4 12:40:09 EDT 2010

On 10-11-04 11:26 AM, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:

> It's worth noting again that as I understand it, downloading music
> in Canada is perfectly legit as long as you do it for your self.
> Uploading is a no-no, but downloading is fine.

True, for content for which you don't have the rights. But when you use
Bittorrent or other P2P applications to download you're also uploading
the content to distribute the load.  That would be a no-no, so don't use
any P2P protocols if you're downloading content for personal use.

Of course, freely available content such as Die Beauty or Nina Paley's
movie or Allison Crowe's music can be shared and distributed, so
uploading that is a yes-yes.

--Bob.

[1] http://diebeauty.blogspot.com/
[2] http://blog.ninapaley.com/
[3] http://www.allisoncrowe.com/

Bob Jonkman<bjonkman at sobac.com>          http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software   ---   Office&  Business Automation   ---   Consulting