[kwlug-disc] Skype on Linux: some quirks

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Nov 3 15:54:23 EDT 2010

I have been using Skype on Linux for a few years.

Dialing from Skype to Skype works fine. Voice is
OK for both parties.

Using SkypeOut to dial a land line ($2.99 a month
by the way for USA and Canada), works only in that
I can hear the other side, but they cannot hear me.
The sound is muffled, and there is a background

The above happens even after I upgrade to the
latest build.

Using Google Voice (also works on Linux) to dial
land lines (free for a limited time) also suffers from
the same problem (the user of the land line cannot
hear me well, but I can hear them).

It could not be the network since Skype to Skype
works well. It cannot be the drivers because of
the same reasons.

What is weirder is that I installed Skype for Android
on my phone, and using SkypeOut to call a land
line works fine. This is the same network (WiFi)
that the laptop uses.

Where can the problem be then?

Any similar experiences or ideas?