[kwlug-disc] (Windows) savable pdf forms?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Nov 3 13:22:17 EDT 2010

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 11/03/2010 12:31 PM:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:24 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>
>> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 11/03/2010 11:47 AM:
>>
>>  If this needs to tie into a site that has other content, then Drupal with
>>> webform makes sense.
>>>
>>> http://drupal.org/project/webform
>>>
>> Sadly, a server is not in the cards, at least not any time soon.
>>

>>  Otherwise a Google Documents with a form should be the easiest to
>>> implement,
>>> and it is free.
>>>
>> Google Documents 'form'? Sounds tantalizing. Any good links?
>>
>> Googling "google docs" "form" gets me such as:
>> http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=87809
>>
>> This is the direction you are alluding to?
>>

> That is it.
>
> Dead simple. No servers. No software. Free.

Pardon my faux pas in not explaining very well in my original post.

I didn't mean form as in survey, I meant form as in single page view
of a database record (held in an oo spreadsheet).

So, my struggle here is how to maintain / update missing information
from the spreadsheet database, when administrator, manager, and staff,
are not on the same computer/server/network, and staff may not even
have computers. There is no office, and no staff office time / checkin.

Which is to say, I can see google docs as a way to instantiate or
initialize a spreadsheet row, but I don't see how to populate
individual pages with information known to date, seeking that the
missing data be provided, let alone get the provided information back
into the spreadsheet.

So, I could see an oo form printed, or exported as pdf (possibly
e-mailed) [or some other web facility / link?], much like a mail
merge, but don't see how to then distribute / collect the information,
except manually. [Ideas welcome.]

Google form would let me collect the entire set of information
initially, or each time, but not leverage the information already on
file. How to get that information back into the original database.

Record maintenance.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Yes, this is an operational processes situation, posted to the list in
an attempt to see what technical elements of today's world can be
leveraged to make this process take less people time.