[kwlug-disc] Bandwidth monitoring for individual computers in a home network

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun May 30 21:55:01 EDT 2010

Nice page.

Couple of thoughts:

- it can be tough to remember that data collection, data monitoring,
and data display, need not all be on the same device. So, it might not
be necessary to depend upon little ol' OpenWRT, with limited
horsepower and memory, to do it all. It may perhaps be useful to use
OpenWRT as a point of collection, and perhaps monitoring, and let
another computer do the heavy lifting. Assuming, for example, that you
want to clamp down an ip overusing the bandwidth, vs. an ip having
reached it's limit for the month. (The former is merely monitoring,
the latter assumes data collection and summation to make the 'drop the
gate' decision.)

- if I read your text correctly, for the Gargoyle to be effective it
must be your gateway. Many would be reluctant to do so (it it ain't
broke ...) Mind you, if you're considering OpenWRT anyway, as your
gateway, you're already there. Or if you already know your in the
midst of a problem anyways. OTOH - you can't control traffic that
you're not in the midst of.

I wonder ... could you just vlan the kids off and rate limit them full
time, leaving the rest for you? I guess, depends upon the consequences
when they figure that out? (-: