[kwlug-disc] Bandwidth monitoring for individual computers in a home network

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun May 30 20:40:22 EDT 2010

One of the reasons I was looking for a flashable Linux based router was to
monitor bandwidth in a home network and trace the usage to individual
computers.

While I have not implemented any specific solution yet, mostly due to lack
of time to tinker, I gathered some information here for my own reference
in the future.

The Gargoyle Router, which is a variant of OpenWRT, seems to be exactly
what I need: bandwidth monitoring and quality of service (throttling). I
looked
at the code and it seems to be iptables based, so could be applicable to any
Linux based router.

So here are the relevant links

http://baheyeldin.com/bandwidth/monitoring-bandwidth-usage-individual-computers-home-network.html
--