[kwlug-disc] how to install fedora rpms on ubuntu 10.04?

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 16:46:21 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 5/27/10, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] how to install fedora rpms on ubuntu 10.04?
> To: "KWLUG discussion" <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org>
>
>   as a followup to my earlier post, when i go to
> remove the older (and
> native .deb-based) version of publican, i get:
>
> $ sudo apt-get remove publican
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages were automatically installed and are
> no longer
> required:
>   libnumber-compare-perl libio-stringy-perl
> libconfig-simple-perl
> libclone-perl
>   libsyntax-highlight-engine-kate-perl
> liblocale-maketext-gettext-perl
>   libclass-trigger-perl libfile-pushd-perl
> libfile-find-rule-perl
>   libdatetime-format-dateparse-perl
> libdatetime-timezone-perl
>   libfile-slurp-perl libmakefile-dom-perl
> libmakefile-parser-perl
>   libparams-util-perl libparams-validate-perl
> libimage-size-perl
>   libxml-treebuilder-perl libdatetime-perl
> liblocale-po-perl
>   libdatetime-locale-perl libtext-glob-perl
> libxml-libxslt-perl
>   libclass-data-inheritable-perl perlmagick
> libclass-singleton-perl
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   publican
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 3 not
> upgraded.
> After this operation, 4,231kB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
> $
>
>   and that's why i'm nervous ... that many
> dependencies, and i don't
> know how to verify that it'll install properly after being
> converted
> from an rpm file.  so i'm just looking for a
> multi-step recipe where i
> can verify that each step works, and handles deps, and ...
> you get the
> idea.

Actually the only package removed will be publican.

If you reinstall publican all will be OK.

If you ever want to remove the packages that "were automatically installed and are no longer required" you would need to execute

sudo apt-get autoremove

So as long as you don't execute it, you will still have those libraries installed.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx