[kwlug-disc] Drupal..

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Mon May 24 21:09:24 EDT 2010

----- "Joe Wennechuk" <youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am experimenting with a drupal install on my netbook so I can play
> around. I have installed it a few times, even on windows with IIS, but
> I am stumped here.. I am running lucid netbook, on an aspire one
> 1.6Ghz, 160 GH HD with tons of space, single boot have installed
> lamp-server, and phpmyadmin(Works Perfect!), webmin(Works Perfect!),
> and everything under /var/www is chmod'ed at 777, and every file and
> directory in it "-R" as well, I have created the database in mysql,
> and made sure .htaccess is in the webroot. I run the install script; I
> select install in english. I go to configure the database, and enter
> in all of the information, and it just comes right back to the
> parameters page for the database name, PW, etc...If I put in
> non-existant parameters for a database that doesn't exist it barks an
> error. Does anyone know what I am missing here???

There is lots to work on here.

First your chmod 777 is a big no-no and Drupal will complain. I'm guessing this was done to try to make things work.

I recommend that you delete all those files and re-install from tarball to get perms correct. You will have to change the perms on your sites/default directory (chgrp apache -R sites/default; chmod g+w -R sites/default) to get started.

I don't think drupal will create your MySQL database and login for you. Use your phpmyadmin to do that or use the command line:

mysql -u root # Add a -p if you have a password on root)
mysql> use mysql;
mysql> create database  MyWebSite;
mysql> grant all on MyWebSite to WebUserName at localhost identified by "mypassword";
mysql> flush privileges;
mysql> quit;

Then go to you drupal install.

Make sure you change the permissions to the sites/default/settings.php back (chmod g-w sites/default/settings.php). There may also be more permissions to set back as well.

The install document also goes through all this. Please take the time to read it carefully.
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO
Net Direct Inc.
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12, Waterloo, ON N2L 5C6
Ph: 866-883-1172 x5102
Fx: 519-883-8533

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware