[kwlug-disc] Fwd: [TLUG]: Dlink DIR-825 wireless router one-day sale $119.99

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri May 21 16:01:55 EDT 2010

Raul Suarez wrote, On 05/21/2010 2:58 PM:
> --- On Fri, 5/21/10, Insurance Squared Inc.
> <gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:
>> A one gigabit router doesn't in the end provide anything useful
>> that a 10/100 does, right?

Wrong. Internal traffic.

> I was planning to wire Gigabit at home but re-thought it based on
> the following:
>
> - When you talk about going out to the Internet, you are right.
> Actually I don't even get why they discontinued wireless G for
> people that have just one or two devices.
>
> - When we are taking about transferring data internally, then you
> are bound to the HDD speed so unless you have a RAID with perfect
> geometry, you may not get the full speed.

So what. You'll still save over 100 full duplex. Transfers that take
days take a few hours.

> - If you have multiple devices talking to other devices
> concurrently, then you may use the Gigabit bandwith.

Concurrency is irrelevant.

> So, bottom line, still faster than 100 Mb but unlikely you will
> fully utilize it at home at this point.

Try it. You'll never go back.

Especially, given the cost difference, 10/100 shouldn't even appear on
anyone's shopping list any more. It would be like buying 8-track today.

Play safe - back up your systems, the entire system, today. Daily.

What's your data, let alone your time, worth to you?