[kwlug-disc] linux undelete command

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed May 19 23:44:19 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 19:18 -0700, Raul Suarez wrote:
> I have a similar post titled "Undeleted FAT files".
>
> The first method I show "Photorec" also works on FAT files, although it is a brute force recovery. i.e. it recovers every deleted file on the file system to an alternate location ignoring the file system file tables.

I'll vouch for photorec. It won't help you recover from a deletion on an
ext2/3/4 filesystem but is *great* for FAT filesystems on SD cards from
cameras/phones/etc.

Also great when a friend is re-re-re-installing Windows on their machine
and suddenly realize they wiped their "backup" drive (the only one with
the family photos on it. "But it is a backup because it's external!").
Free pizza for three days!

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca