[kwlug-disc] Can OSs demand too much?

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Fri May 14 15:32:54 EDT 2010

Not really addressing your practical problem, but I would expect that kernels, distros and other software will leave old computers behind as they disappear from the user community, or at least from the view of developers.

If there is no one submitting bugs from old platforms there won't be any bug fixes. If the developers don't know of people using old systems they may assume they are gone.

I guess the lesson here is that if you think you are a minority you might want to speak up on development lists.

Distros seem to drop support first.

At least this is better than proprietary software which drops support faster and with general disregard for the users.
--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware