[kwlug-disc] Purging already removed Debian packages.

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Fri May 14 14:16:55 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:40, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> I have found that aptitude from the command line is always the best tool for
> Debian/Ubuntu.
>
> So wherever one thinks s/he may use apt-get ..., just use aptitude ... and
> thinks work fine. Now it is second nature.

A nice feature of aptitude is that it will perform an autoremove of
unneccessary packages. So if you install MyApp, and it requires
libMyApp, aptitude will also remove the library (as long as nothing
else needs it). apt-get would simply leave the library around to
clutter up your system, unless you manually sought them out.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>