[kwlug-disc] On lowering new member hurdles & comment cards.

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat May 8 01:12:01 EDT 2010

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 01:43:34AM -0400, Richard Weait wrote:

> hmmm.  Does the mentor-list need to be separated from this
> kwlug-discussion list?  Why?

It shouldn't. It probably does. I know that I feel intimidated asking
questions on this list unless I have spent half a day searching on the
internet for an answer. You all know so much and talk about DSLAMs
and SMTP error codes and lots of other things I don't follow, and then
I feel dumb.  That could just be me, though.

If we create this new list it should probably be more restrictive than
kwlug-disc, in the sense that it is strictly for technical help, while
kwlug-disc is a free-for-all (including questions).

I think it is not hard to create an additional mailing list
(kwlug-newbie? kwlug-mentors? kwlug-questions? kwlug-help?) if people
want. Where I get stuck is in how this mailing list attracts newbies,
and what advantage the list would have over linuxquestions.org or the
Ubuntu forums.

Maybe it is that we promise a friendly atmosphere? (But LinuxQuestions
is friendly too)

Maybe it is the possibility of finding local mentors?

Maybe it is that people find our group before they learn about these
other resources?

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org