[kwlug-disc] On lowering new member hurdles & comment cards.

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat May 8 01:43:34 EDT 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 11:00:48PM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
>> - For a couple of years I "mentored" a couple of would-be Linux users
>>   via e-mail. Both of these fellows were highly motivated to use
>>   free software, so this was not a burden. But short of offering to
>>   mentor more people myself, I do not see a good way for these people
>>   to get over that learning hump.
>
> The first thing that springs to mind here is a kwlug-mentor mailing
> list.  People who want to help with beginner questions can subscribe
> and share the load.  No question too stupid to ask.  No FAQ too
> frequent to ask again.

hmmm.  Does the mentor-list need to be separated from this
kwlug-discussion list?  Why?  Based on too much newbie traffic?  If
the newbie list suffers from the success of too much traffic we should
move it at that time.

Have we presented this list as being exclusive, or hostile to newbies?
 I hope not.  I haven't even seen much abuse for the recent
top-posting.  ;-)