[kwlug-disc] "What Linux Distro Should I Use?"

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Fri May 7 23:35:05 EDT 2010

I am one of the Linux newbies in the UG and am following this
discussion with great interest.
Someone said:

>We can schedule "Linux 101", and cover basics of
>     - command-line tools,
>     - network tools,
>     - kvm, virtualbox, ...

I would add to the list the following (for example):
Firefox, Screen, and some more basic apps.

I would suggest that the "Linux 101" be split to some bite-size
chunks to form a series of presentations that can, over a few
meetings take a user from the "follow the bouncing ball" to a basic
"what's next" level. In this format the "Linux 101" series can be
repeated every x meetings.

But, speaking for myself, I would not want to choose between a Linux
101 presentation and the main topic du jour. I have enjoyed the
presentations on MySQL, SSH (and its cousins) and Screen. I will
admit that the presentation on performance measurement was a bit over
my head. But I know from the presentation that these tools are
present and have some purpose.

This lurker has come out of the shadows.

Thanks all.
John Johnson