[kwlug-disc] More Secure FTP Server

Fernando Duran liberosec at yahoo.ca
Fri May 7 16:22:31 EDT 2010

----- Original Message ----
From: Raul Suarez <rarsa at yahoo.com>
To: KWLUG discussion <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org>
Sent: Fri, May 7, 2010 3:50:56 PM
Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] More Secure FTP Server

In that case pretty much any FTP server should meet your needs

-> It depends if the requirements call for encrypted password as well.

I suggest to use either sshd or ftp with ssl support as suggested by John. I checked and Winscp supports ftp-ssl so there's a free client.

FTP with SSL may have a little bit more of configuration (creating a certificate etc) but it's probably safer overall than ssh and Linux accounts since for ftp users these can be set to "nologin" shell.

Also the OP can start with an ftp server with restrictions (jailed users, no anonymous logins etc) and later on add ssl support for better security.

Fernando

At home I use http://www.pureftpd.org/project/pure-ftpd

The accounts are set in a way that you can only access your own folder.

Configuration is a breeze and uses almost no resources (I run it in a P2 400MHz)

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx