[kwlug-disc] On lowering new member hurdles & comment cards.

Shane shane.msg at gmail.com
Thu May 6 20:16:45 EDT 2010

Basically yes.  But is rather light on the data collected.  Sounds like, except for a core group, you really don't know what you have to deal with.  Trust me, you'll have everything.

With a more detailed question sheet (all questions optional) because new people don't know what they're dealing with either, you can get that kind of data.  You might also keep more of the drop-ins.  They drop in and as long as they think it might be for them, they return .

During social time you probe.  What got you interested in open source?  How long?  What distro(s)?  Etc.  There are people here from kinds of backgrounds.  We need good people (implying present company).  Did you hear about the Lucid Lynx install party?  Etc.  Dishonest?  Not if you really mean it. You have to get past the defences they have set.  Show  them that with Linux, not only the software is friendly and capable.

That will get you a capable, strong membership.  But it all starts with data.  You can't operate meaningly in a vacuum.

Sorry about the length but I figured it needed to be said.
================It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.