[kwlug-disc] New user breakout sessions

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu May 6 00:51:17 EDT 2010

I got the idea of separate but simultaneous meetings from TPUG and TLUG
meetings I used to attend.  Worked well there, although the venue wasn't
quite as acoustically reverberant as SJK so there was little or no
disruption of the main, formal event.

I was at the Ubuntu Release Party held at Kwartzlab this past Saturday.
Pretty much the same crowd, but a completely different dynamic.  There
was no formal presentation, just a bunch of Linux enthusiasts of all
levels of experience chatting, showing off software, solving problems
and having a great, unstructured time.

It was not unlike the after-KWLUG meeting at Zeke's, but with WiFi.  As
others have mentioned, the after-KWLUG is the place where many of us get
the real work done.  The formal presentations are great, but I don't
always get there on time (and _never_ for a 6:30 Q&A).  But I'll come to
the after-KWLUG even if I miss the whole presentation except for the
last Q&A of the evening.

The membership of KWLUG is by far the most technically astute crowd of
any computer club I attend.  Most other UGs (MUMU, Toronto Ubuntu, KW
Web Developers and Designers, KWIUG of old) have less formal
presentations, or no presentations at all, and all take place in a local
drinking establishment (sometimes licensed, sometimes a coffee shoppe).
I can imagine the force of technical awesomeness that surrounds KWLUG
makes newcomers think that these are not the geeks they're looking for.
So, an unstructured, informal breakout session may be just the thing.

There is absolutely no disrespect intended with a breakout session.
Think Linuxfest -- are we being rude to three out of four presenters
because we're in a different session?  I remember some Linuxfest
organizational guy telling me that it's great that people can't attend
all the concurrent sessions, it keeps 'em coming back for more next time.

--Bob.

Bob Jonkman<bjonkman at sobac.com>          http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software   ---   Office&  Business Automation   ---   Consulting

On Wed, 05 May 2010 at 14:52, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote
about Re: [kwlug-disc] New user breakout sessions: