[kwlug-disc] "What Linux Distro Should I Use?"

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed May 5 23:40:54 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> > Recently I heard Richard give this talk in five minutes. It was pretty
> > excellent. That leads me to believe that this might be a good final
> > talk for the June meeting, if Richard or somebody was willing to risk
> > his or her life by giving it.
> Er.  Thanks?  I wasn't too "ranty"?  I'll reprise this talk for June
> if nobody objects.  I'll add some slides for visual interest and keep
> it to five minutes.  The regulars can use that time for a bio-break.

There is actually something called "lightning talks" that was first invented
at some Python conference. Topics are 10 minutes, and focused on one
particular thing.

We did something similar at DrupalCon for the core summit, with around
120 people submitting 10-15 minute topics in 4 or so slides, and then a few
were selected among them.

So, this can be a useful vehicle. I would use it for an audience that is
more focused on a particular topic though, not for newbies. Unless we
want to show the breadth of topics and presenters or some such.