[kwlug-disc] topic request

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed May 5 03:08:28 EDT 2010

OK, so, to your point, and John's (sorry about the top posts of
everyone in this thread), both will be out there for some time, and
having some knowledge of both is no bad thing.

Especially since the list is perpetually addressing, and rightly so,
the 'which distro' question, which seems to always initially come down
to "Which are you more comfortable with - apt, or rpm?"

I have no data, but my sense from the askers of such questions is that
not everyone is always choosing a Debian derivative, so CentOS/rpm is
still appropriate.

My guess, to be a 'well rounded Linux individual' in today's multi-use
and multi-purpose environment, you have a Debian derivative on the
desktop, and CentOS on your home server. (And OpenWRT on your gateway,
of course!) Presumably, if only by osmosis, one absorbs both worlds.

Have we ever had a "Building you CentOS Server" presentation?

Or a 'Care & Feeding of Your Linux Box' presentation?

- no, I'm not qualified to present either one. Heck, I'm not entirely
sure what all would go into either one.