[kwlug-disc] "What Linux Distro Should I Use?"

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue May 4 05:19:56 EDT 2010

Raul Suarez wrote, On 05/04/2010 2:02 AM:
> I am all for new users presentations. e.g. My presentation on
> development languages and environments is meant as an introduction
> to Linux programming (yes, I'll send the abstract very soon).
> Personally I feel like a new user at most of the presentations.
> That's what makes it interesting for me. Learning things I didn't
> know before.

So, you're including an IDE in your presentation? (-:

> But how frequently do we want to have a presentation about "what is
>  Linux"?

I'm not sure we ever need to have one. They probably already have some
clue or they wouldn't be there. But if I take "what is Linux" as "Now
what?" then short bits would probably be useful. Everybody can use a
refresher on something basic, every meeting. Ah, here's one for a
blurb ... chattr / chmod / etc. How about /etc/passwd & group. Or top
5 things to know about vi (write, quit, yank, put, open, Esc).

These are, in essence, show and tell blurbs.

Although I'm drawing a blank at the moment, I doubt it would be hard
to come up with a bunch of such.

> I hope we have new/curious users every meeting but eventually the
> new users will become more experienced.

Only if they stick around. And if I think back to the presentations
over the past years, nobody attending all of them could come out of it
all as a 'generally experienced and competent Linux user.' The topics
haven't been that broad, nor contiguous (except possibly Khalid's).

Nor do I think that that is what kwlug is, or wants. (But just
throwing that observation out.) Somewhere in between?

> So the challenge is how to facilitate the integration of new users;
> helping them understand the basic concepts that will, in turn,
> help them understand the topics presented. This has to be done on a
> regular basis as there will always be new users.

Is there value to having a survey like wwitpro does? What would people
like to see presented, do they have a candidate for the floss fund,
comments at all? Maybe we should simply have a suggestion box?

> Here is some brainstorming (most have pros and cons: - Revive the
> 6:00 - 7:00 slot? or maybe the 6:30 - 7:00 slot;

> - Implement Bill's idea regarding having a volunteer every meeting
>  go to a separate area and introduce new users to "What is linux?";

It's been a while since I've thought about this, but I think you have
me slightly wrong.

I'm guessing it would be useful, and SJK has the space, that if people
come with questions, and some number of regulars were willing to tutor
instead of watching the presentation, they could separate off and work
together. I suspect this only really works with laptops, if brought.
Which we could encourage.

Or, this second group becomes a discussion group for whomever wants to
talk about whatever. I frequently learn or become alerted to issues,
simply by lurking.

- it would probably be bad if everyone abandoned the main presentation
to join this group. 8~(

By asking at the beginning of a meeting, at least we're reinforcing we
can help - if you have questions / maybe we have answers. If nobody
partakes, then nobody partakes. [But nobody will partake if they don't
know before hand that they can partake.]

- not that we don't say ask your neighbour, but we don't say you can
toddle off into a corner. (If we even should.)

This is separate from a 'show and tell' (found this neat firefox
addon) or 'newbie blurb' and definitely separate from the other time
slot, if implemented. (As best I remember, the space is not available
much before 7:00 / Paul can't get there sooner.)

> - Add a few pages to the KWLUG site with references and links to
> videos, tutorials and documents for new users. (We don't need to
> write them. there are enough resources available);

You have a point. The web can be like drinking from a fire hose,
overwhelming. But such a list, with a note that, hey, feel free to ask
on the list or at a meeting, makes a connection between meeting, list,
and site, that we can point to at a meeting. See this page at
kwlug.org, go here, ask questions there.

> - Have a volunteer host a "post meeting" gathering with new users;

As far as I know, we have to be out soon after 9:00. But, it may be
reasonable to say that new users might pass up the main presentation
as being too advanced, so simultaneous would work?

 > - Team with the Working Centre Computer recycling program.  We can
 > ask if they have volunteers interested on presenting Beginner Linux
 > training classes. Or one of us could volunteer one hour once a
 > month. e.g. me. Or even train the trainers.

Hadn't thought of that. Are we talking here about duplicating new user
facilities that exist elsewhere in K-W? er, do other facilities exist
in K-W?

> Do the people in the list have more ideas? Remember, it is
> brainstorming. We can narrow down them later.

Paul (Charles?) can you comment on historical desires, and nature of
same? e.g. Either we've scared everyone off, or there's a reason why
the lack of 'newbie time' has tapered off - lack of demand? And,
videos were shown at one point, but not currently, for the same
reasons? Can you comment on the nature of the desires?

- is it age particular or specific? Do we target younger people?

Do we need to advertise? Tell school boards we exist? Computer shops?

If we shortened presentation time slightly, could there be more
variety in the agenda? (Bunch of short bits before the really long
bit?) And if so, fill it with what?

I suspect we've always been ready and willing to help anyone out with
anything - not so sure that that's been visible, though.

Maybe we come across too intimidating? I KNOW we aren't, the early
part of a meeting is really a fun free for all for as long as people
are so inclined, and the host lets them get away with it, but then I
was around this block many times before ever coming to kwlug.

Is the question, here, really, we have occasional new people coming
out - what would it take to retain or engage them?

WE know installfests are of limited usefulness, but do they? Is the
basic premise "Now what?"?