[kwlug-disc] OT - degauss/wipe a dead hard drive/LTO tapes

Oksana Goertzen ogoertzen at gmail.com
Mon May 3 12:36:49 EDT 2010

Last time I checked the disk was a brick.  I can put it in the freezer and
see if I can get it to boot and try to use DBAN on it.  I had simply written
it off and was going to destroy it but I came across the sales slip last
night
and it's under warranty 'til 2011 and I checked it on the Western Digital
site.
I have to send the drive to WD in order for them to send me a new one
free of charge.  I figured if perhaps I degaussed it with a strong magnet
that might be enough.. usually I wipe the drives (DoD style) before
discarding
them.  I will check with them to see their policies are with regard to old
drives.

Thanks!

Oksana